Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In

Skip Navigation LinksFAQs Frequently Asked Questions

How do I research a birth and death record?

Birth Records from 1893 to the year 1936 are maintained with the Orphans Court Division Office at the main courthouse in Easton, PA.
The Archives currently has in inventory 1 death record book from 1893 to the year 1903. Death Records from 1904 to the year 1936 are maintained with the Orphans Court Division Office.
No formal record keeping for birth and death records was performed in Northampton County prior to 1893. Please see our related links page for additional sites to assist you with historical researching.

For additional questions on obtaining a birth or death record after the year 1906, please contact the Orphans Court office at 610-829-6488, M-F, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm.


How may I obtain a copy of my marriage license?

   Please contact the Orphans Court office, at 610-829-6488, M-F, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm.


How do I obtain a copy of my divorce record?

Please contact the Civil Division (Prothonotary) office at 610-829-6457, M-F, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm. 


May I get a copy of my civil or criminal file at the archives instead of going to the courthouse?

Yes, but you must have the exact file number for the file you are requesting and then contact our office first to make sure our office in fact has in inventory the file you are requesting.   

In addition, please review the records available section on this website for Civil (Prothonotary) Case Files and Criminal Case Files to review the file years our office has in inventory.  If after reviewing the records available section you do not find the year for the record you need listed, please contact the Civil Division office at 610-829-6457 or the Criminal Division office at 610-829-6438, M-F, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm.   

Also, our office cannot provide you with certified copies.  In addition, if copies are made at the Archives, please note that applicable copier fees apply – please see the requesting records area on the archives section of this website for fee information.


How do I find out the age of my home?

Our office suggests starting with the grantor and the grantee indexes located on the Landex computer system.   

The Landex computer system may be accessed either at the Archives, the Recorder of Deeds offices or for website access:

If I am trying to locate a civil (prothonotary) record using the ejectment and miscellaneous indexes at the civil (prothonotary) office but I cannot find a file number, is there any other way to access the record?

Yes, if you know the approximate year of filing for the record then you may visit the Archives to view the continuance docket books from 1753-1979 to try and see if a file number exists for the record you are researching.  



Back to Top